Disclosure: There are some affiliate links below, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. These are all products I highly recommend. I promise that I won't put anything on this page that I haven't verified and/or personally used. Thank you so much for your support!
Have you ever wanted to have more desktop screen space but didn’t want to buy a PC or iMac? I felt the same way and decided to convert my Macbook Pro into a desktop while I was sitting at my desk in my home office.
I started my YouTube channel in 2017 and editing videos on my previous 2010 13” Macbook Air was hard on such a small screen and older laptop. I looked into buying an iMac but then realized that I could setup an external monitor instead to get more screen space.
Earlier this year I upgraded to a Macbook Pro and the accessories and video below are what I am currently using as my desk setup. It’s great for editing videos while I’m sitting at my desk and when I’m not as my desk I can just use my laptop.
The best part about this setup is that you save money by using an external monitor, keyboard and mouse instead of buying a desktop computer.
This setup cost me under $500 and a new iMac starts at $1200. Win!!
One of my members inside of the Action Taker Haven asked me to show her how I set this up, she found it so useful that I thought that I would share it with you here as well.
To learn more about my monthly membership or how to get a personalized video response to your questions, click here.
Here’s my current desk setup:
1. MacBook Pro : I have the Space Grey MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 and 16 GB Memory)
3. Anker USB Port Extender: The best thing about this port extender is that you can use it for other things like charging your phone or other usb devices.
4. External 27 inch Monitor: When I bought this monitor it was under $200. I will probably upgrade to a 4K monitor next year, but for now this one does just fine!
5. Palette Gear Expert Kit: This as a gift from my husband and I had no idea what it was when I opened it but now it’s my favorite thing when editing videos. This kit allows me to use my hands for editing instead of using mouse clicks. I am able to edit by using the sliders, buttons or knobs on this kit. Highly recommend.
6. LogicKeyboard with Adobe Premiere Pro CC Shortcuts: This keyboard is another helpful tool to use when editing videos. I love that the keyboard lights up and is easy to navigate. This is a definite for any video editor using Premiere Pro.
When I’m not sitting at my desk, I love to use this keyboard skin with shortcuts for my Macbook Pro keyboard!
7. Wireless White Mouse: I love how this mouse fits in my small hand and it’s also great for photos for my blog or social media like this one below.
9. JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom. Flexible Tripod with Ballhead Bundle: This tripod is super versatile. Great for when sitting at my desk but also good on the go. My next tripod will be this one though, the SwitchPod.
10. Yeti Blue Microphone: I get so many questions about this microphone and while it is a good mic, i find myself just using my headphones from my iPhone more often out of convenience. 😉
11. Ikea desk add-on topper: My desk is from pottery barn but this desk topper is from IKEA and it is amazing for making this whole setup work. I’m able to gain more storage on my desk and have a place to store all of my cables and laptop when I’m sitting at my desk. Highly recommend!
And even though it’s from IKEA, you can order it online and it was way easier to put together than most IKEA furniture!
12. Rifle Print Co Prints (Blue botanical print, Rose botanical print) : I get a lot of questions about these prints and even though they aren’t technically on my desk, they do help my home office desk view look nice. I used these brass frames from Target.
Want see how it is all setup? Click below to watch the video:
The best part is that you can still use your laptop when you’re not sitting at your desk so it feels like you have two setups.
Here’s an example from my Action Taker Haven member, Amanda over at Amanda Cross Co did with her setup for her Macbook Pro!
If you found this post helpful, I’d love it if you share it to Pinterest or with a friend.